Friday 30 September 2011

The British Museum



I visited the British Museum to gather inspiration and a combination of facts and information regarding Greek history. There were an incredible amount of artifacts displaying a wealth of Greek history and art.

Vases

Vases used for a different purposes weather it be day to day uses and as ornaments. The artwork covering these spectacular vases depicted many ancient gods, goddesses and general civilians of the time. I notice alot were covered in crawling children, boys and men with wings, bathing women and battle scenes.
There were so many Vases are the museum I couldn't take photos of all of them but I took photos of the ones I found would be good reference as well as the vases that I just liked the look of.




Icarus
 
Throughout the whole of the Ancient Greek section of the British Museum I could only find one sculpture of Icarus. This was a 8cm tall Bronze figure.


The stance he makes seems like it would have some significance to the myth, were the wings facing up and down representing his rise and fall?

 
Character Reference
I photographed a selection of objects I felt were great for character design reference. There were many novity cups that were in the shape of animals, small figures and full sized sculptures.

Patterns, Shape and Texture
One of the most important outcomes I wanted from my visit was to collect a selection of textures, patterns and shapes that can help me with my creation of the book. The museum was abundant with stunning shapes and patterns. The styles varied from era's and location.
After being satisfied that I have looked at everything in the Ancient Greek section, feeling abit confused that I found only one reference to Icarus. I took a visit to the Gift shop and Book Shop to see what materials they had. I discovered whilst reading the books on the Art and myths that  that works that contained Icarus were en-fact roman and later. I took note of a couple of the pieces.

Also while I was in the book store I had a look at the children's books to see if there were any books about Greek mythology. In total there were about five and one containing Icarus. This book was very much what I remember from my childhood, watercolour cartoons and a very dated look. I feel children are looking for something new.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

(c)2009 Roxxas Designs. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger